There’s a big need for health insurance in Bellevue. More than 11,000 of the city’s residents (14% percent the population) are without health insurance. Another 4,000 people in nearby Redmond are uninsured.
The vast majority of them are newly eligible for low-cost or free health insurance.
Public Health-Seattle & King County is hosting a large enrollment event this Saturday, in Bellevue. This event is aimed at people who need help navigating or accessing the state’s new insurance website, called Washington Healthplanfinder. Overall, most people are signing up for insurance privately, using the online web portal, or the toll-free help-line.
Still, more than 180 came for advice at a similar event last week in Lake Forest Park, and about 150 came the week before to Seattle’s Garfield Community Center. Some of them enrolled, on the spot, with help. Others gathered information about their eligiblity and choices and plan to enroll later this fall.
A team of “In-Person Assisters” will setup shop inside Crossroads Mall in Bellevue, from 10am-2pm, and help:
- Enroll residents in the plan that best fits their needs
- Determine whether or not residents are eligible for financial help
- Compare brand new plans side-by-side
- Translate into Spanish and other languages.
When: Saturday, Oct. 12. 10am-2pm.
Where: Crossroads Bellevue Shopping Center 15600 NE 8th Street, Bellevue, WA
At Noon, elected leaders, including Bellevue Mayor Conrad Lee and State Senator Rodney Tom will speak briefly about the importance of making health insurance more available.
What people should bring to be ready to enroll:
- Names, birthdays, address and contact info for all household members
- Social Security Numbers
- Passport, alien, or other immigration numbers — for any legal immigrants who need health care coverage
- Estimated tax status for 2012, 2013 and 2014 for all household members
- Income information for 2012, 2013 and 2014 for all adults and all minors age 14 or older who are required to file a tax return
- Information about health insurance already available to your family (Employer sponsored health insurance, Medicare, TriCare, PeaceCorps insurance, etc.)
Another large enrollment event is scheduled:
- South King County — Saturday, Nov. 9, 2-5pm, at Kent Memorial Park Building 850 N. Central Avenue, Kent